Woodstock House is a large three-storey Classical style country house dating from 1745. Built for Sir William Fownes to designs by Francis Bindon, the house was subsequently altered in the the early nineteenth century, with flanking wings being added to the central building. Woodstock continued to act as a family home until the 1920s when the house was burned by IRA forces during the Irish Civil War. No longer occupied, all that remains is the house's deteriorating shell.
A view of the house and the Winter Garden
Waterfall flowing into the River Nore
The Terrace Garden
In the 1860s the Winter Gardens were laid out to the designs of a Scottish gardener, Charles McDonald. The gardens comprised four massive sunken panels filled elaborately with planted parterres. Their creation is believed to have involved the removal of some 200,000 cubic yards of soil. These elaborately decorated gardens could be admired especially well from the overlooking elevation of the house.